A one-day workshop with Dimitra Kondylatou
September 4, 2020, 17:00-20:00
The Syros International Film Festival (SIFF) is happy to announce the Alternate Paths workshop on September 4th, with Dimitra Kondylatou.
The Alternate Paths workshops invite participants to follow hikes with local and international artists and filmmakers in unexplored areas of Syros. The aim of “Alternate Paths” is for participants to approach the past and present of the island in a more complex, experiential way. Workshop sessions will include organized walks to destinations that are not usually those of the mainstream trend of tourism, during which participants will record their experiences in digital media.
This year, during the 8th Syros International Film Festival edition, a one-day workshop will be held in collaboration with the Greek visual artist Dimitra Kondylatou, who has chosen to focus on the site of Lazareta.
The current Covid-19 pandemic and its resultant precautionary measures, their direct link to travel and their impact on movement and tourism, find a historical precedent in the “lazaretto” structure type, the first organized quarantine facilities for travelers and goods. The historic lazaretto of Syros and its general neighborhood, now known as “Lazareta” on the island, will be the central site from which to consider historical, geopolitical, theoretical and experiential approaches of space, travel and health management, across different times.
More specifically, the artist will organize a walking session, and, together with the workshop participants, will document the walk and compile a small archive of digital images, which will be the basis for her next moving-image project. The final piece will be presented at SIFF in July 2021.
The workshop will take place once on Friday, September 4th over three hours (17:00 – 20:00) and is offered to the public free of charge. Participants will not exceed the number of ten (10) people.
APPLICATION AND PARTICIPATION
To reserve a spot in the workshop, please send an email including your name and phone number to email@example.com by August 28th. 10 spots are available on a first come first served basis.
Submission deadline: August 28, 2020
Dimitra Kondylatou is interested in the limits of art and its entanglements with tourism and everyday life. She visually explores gestures, practices and correspondences within contexts of hospitality and exchange, while she is researching the politics and poetics of the moving image. Her work includes video essays, narrative films, digital drawings and workshops.
– All individuals are welcome to sign-up for the workshop (please note however that the workshop is not tailored for children). The workshop will be divided into a walking section and a discussion session, for a total of 3 hours, and participants are asked to take part in both sessions. While no application is required, interested participants should sign-up in advance by August 28th in order to confirm a spot (10 spots are available on a first come first served basis in order to keep the group size small).
– The workshop will be held in Greek unless there are interested English speaking participants.
– Due to safety concerns, the workshop walk will not include the interior of the main Lazareta historic site, but will include the perimeters of the site, as well as more renovated sections of the larger Lazareta complex.
– Due to Covid-19, all workshop activity will take place outdoors.
– No equipment is provided, but participants are invited to use their own cell phones, cameras, pens and paper, or other forms of visual documentation.
– The workshop will be documented and there is a possibility that the artist will include some footage in her project.